We met up with friends to visit the famous glass pyramid Lourve Museum – the biggest museum in the world. (Ok, I must admit I haven't heard of the Lourve until I was planning the trip to France). The place use to be a palace for the French emporer, and it currently filled with relics, painting, sculpture and art pieces from Egypt, Greek, Italy, China etc. Basically its a museum from every civilisation of the world starting from the earliest, the Egyptian rule.
The three most famous pieces in the museum are
1) The very famous, original Mona Lisa by Leonardo da Vincci. Contary to common perception that this is a large painting, it is actually a very small (probably A4 size???) portrait. Wonder what makes it soooo famous.
2) The broken statue Venus of Milo – an ancient Greek sculpture
3) Winged Victory of Samothrace - a no head winged statue that is believed to be built to honor a sea battle






Other well know sculptures (cannot remember the names)
There was also a section in the museum that is the name the Napolean III Apartments. Which were used as accommodation for the Minister of the State – I was quite amazed at these.
The museum is really hugeeeeee and one would need at least one full day (or more) to see everything properly. We only managed to see all the 'featured pieces' (the highly recommended pieces) by running around and glancing at everything quickly, although I would say we spend a fair 4 hours at the museum.
No comments:
Post a Comment