Monday, October 24, 2011

All Gaudi-ed out in Barcelona

Sometimes I do wonder....if there's no Gaudi, Barcelona might not be where it is today in terms of being a famous tourist spot. He's one of the most unique architects that we have come across (a truly respected genius) and became an instant favourite of ours. Many of his works are inspired by nature, hence you see many rounded shapes, flowers / animals inspiration, and even decorations inspired by crystal formation / bee hives. The main Gaudi places that we visited are as follows :


Sagrada Familia
This is by far the highlight of our trip to Barcelona. I am just surprised that a buildling as WOW as this, I haven't heard of before this trip!! After seeing the buildling, I would have thought that it should be as famous as the Effiel Tower, or the Leaning Tower of Pisa etc.  Construction on it has started more than a hundred years ago....and is still going on - only to  be completed in about 20-25 years time. However, when I look at the miniature completed model, and where it is currently, it looks like its only about half complete. Perhaps with new technology and cranes etc....buildling work will be a lot more efficient now then it was a century ago.




Upon entering the buildling - you will just be blown away. Look up to the roof----its covered with simen sunflowers - ie. all 3D. The height of the ceiling, the decorations, the colors, the whole magnificent-ness of this buildling is just really WOW.

We have the pleasure of going up to one of the many, many towers of the buildling, and walk all the 20 storeys down. The view from up there is pretty something, and we could even see decorations from high up there that we couldn't see being on ground level. There are fruits deco on the top of each of the smaller towers. Hehe!













































Park Guell
This project started out as a luxury accomodation for the rich and famous of Barcelona city but was a 'failed' project with only 3 lots being sold. The whole park was suppose to be cornered off to be a gated private residential, with 2 very lovely houses at the entrance as guard houses. From what I understand, when the developer of the project passed away, the Barcelona City took over the park and open it to public - hence that's what it is now. There's a house in the park  (just a modest house, not designed by Gaudi), that was Gaudi's own accomodation when he's there designing the place , and hence since been turned into a Gaudi museum. It is also at this place that the blue mozek lizard statue is found...I'm not a fan of lizards, but have always seen the miniature version of this statue around.

Walking around the park is really entertaining and interesting with bits and pieces of Gaudi architecture incorporated  into many aspects of the part. The view from the top of the hill overlooking to Barcelona is a beautiful sight.

We've been walking around Barcelona wondering where are the street vendors that sells cheap souveniors - magnets, etc. Well guess what, only AFTER we bought some souveniors from shops, at a not-so-cheap price...we discovered that all the street vendors of Barcelona set up their mats here, at Park Guell. :):)




This is the house where Gaudi lived the last few years of his live - it is now a museum


A portrait of the man himself








A group pic :)


The 2 guard houses


The famous blue lizard




Casa Batlo
I've seen a picture of this buildling on a post card before going there...at that time, I have no idea what this buildling is or who the architect is, but I remember making the comment of WOW - that's a very nice house! very Colourful. Well, definitely very colorful exterior when we are there and see it in person. We didn't have time to go in to have a look (long line of people), but i'm sure it will be magnificent insides as well.









La Pedrera
This building comes highly recommended by me. Lining up to go in, I thought its just another buildling in the city of Barcelona, but when you enter, even the lobby area, although old...can blow you away with its colours. And when you get to the roof of the buildling, I guarantee that your first words are WOW. (Yes, I heard this expression from many of the people who step out of the lift and onto the roof of this building). You would have thought that you're in a whole new place -a different country, some exotic far away location!

The building from road view

In the lobby of the buildling

Once you're up the roof - WOW











A model of the buildling
 One of the main characters of the building is that it has 2 open core in the middle...and both cores are not symmetrical in shape...they are curvy..I do not think there exist another building in this world like this one.
View of 1 core from the top
VIew of open-core from the bottom

In the attic - very unique ceiling..like bones of a dinosaur
This building was intended to be an apartment...a luxurious apartment with 1 floor = 1 apartment. Its currently used as an art culture, but they still have 1 apartment that was furnished to its olden days, Gaudi intended furniture..and we took a walk around that particular apartment.