| Puffin and Whale on the Menu |
Puffin - the cute bird that appears in Happy Feet 2. They must be plentiful in Iceland (although we didn't see any) as the shops sell puffin soft toys. Mr T has been harping on puffin (and reindeer) meat since he saw it advertised in one of the restaurants...so here we are, looking at a few strips of smoked puffin meat....and yum - it taste alright :), even for someone who does take raw meat like Mr T.
Horse - yucks..I cant believe I am eating a horse... the thought appalled me, and yet...here I am ....biting into a chunk of horse steak. The meat is a bit tough, a bit salty, looks like beaf.. yet, its an experience all the same.
Minke whale - with all the whaling issues etc that we hear about constantly, I do wonder if it is ethical to eat whale. Apparently Iceland is one of the few countries in the world where whaling is legal. We had our whale sashimi style, and YUMMY...its the best dish of the night for me....taste a bit like red meat :)
Hakarl - traditional Icelandic dish that is made of rotten shark, basically shark that is hung out to dry for 4-5 months. It taste like ammonia...and somehow remind of me the brie cheese I like, except for the very strong, very sulfuric smell....It's a dish that, well, we couldn't finish.