On the August Bank Holiday weekend, we made a trip to Norway to climb the Pulpit Rock. (our first Europe holiday in a long while).
We took a ferry from the little town of Stavenger, to the side where the rock is. Having decided to stay near the rock so that we can spent more time there, ....we booked a hotel called Base Camp. But let me tell you...the 'Base Camp' is a 20 minute bus ride to where we can start to climb. (Jibbed by false advertising). Look at the bright side, it's a cozy little hotel.
Along the way, I was shocked by what I see. Parents with young kids (in the rain), parents with babies in their back pack, old tourist grannies in their 70s....guided along by their young grandsons. (They are probably cursing and whining at the smart decision of the younger generation to bring them on an 'adventurous' tour).
Halfway up, we witness a rescue helicopter landing on the top of the Pulpit Rock. A woman who had injured herself was air-lifted off the rock as she couldn't make the climb down.
After 2 hours in the rain, drenching wet and a very painful pain in the butt (I slipped, and landed straight on my right buttocks when trying to step onto a big rocks) we finally made it to the top....and WOW what can I say.... The view is definitely worth the pain.
So here we are, at the top of the rock!!! Check out the view.....
.